How to choose a best vacuum for stairs ?
When you do clean your house, you want to effectively and equally remove dirt from all surfaces and areas. Therefore, cleaning the ladder is a more difficult task. A large number of hard-to-reach corners, edges, type of coating – all this affects the choice. And having a suitable vacuum, you can do this job much faster and easier.
This article will help you find the best solution for cleaning your stairs and its flooring, and you will learn some features and criteria for choosing such a vacuum cleaner.
- Features of care for the different types of stairs
- What features should be in the hoover for the stairs
- Best vacuum for stairs 2018
- Final Thought
With a large standard vacuums , it’s quite difficult to maneuver on the stairs, and it’s difficult to get into any corner or drag a heavy models up and down the stairs. And then there comes the point for considering buying a light and compact hand vacuum just for cleaning stairs.
To begin with, let’s look at what kind of stairs there are and see what accessories must be provided by vacuums for cleaning this or that kind of staircase.
are not difficult to clean even with an ordinary vertical hoover. But, such a vacuum cleaner can be quite heavy for cleaning long and large stairs, because you need to constantly move it up or down the stairs and it takes quite a while. And it’s not at all convenient, especially if you need to clean it every day.
Stairs where carpeting
Stairs where carpeting requires a strong suction and a tool with a rotating brush that helps to deeply remove dirt and dust from the carpet, and also remove pet hair.
Stairs with a wooden covering
Stairs with a wooden covering do not like excess water, so wash, or steam cleaners are not suitable because water can penetrate into the wood and warm, miscolor and even rot the flooring.
Such stairs and stairs, covered with tiles, it is convenient to clean with a rotating brush, but it must be soft to avoid scratches or be able to turn off.
shape of the stair area
Still important is the shape of the stair area. The cleaning head can have a wide nozzle and cover a large area and is perfect for turning at right angles, but will not like hard corners, so you need to use a slotted nozzle, which takes more time and effort.
So, let’s see now in general what features should be in the vacuums so that they can easily clean the stairs.
Main features should be in the vacuum cleaners for the stairs
On the stairs, it is better to work with a hoover, which is compact in size and has a lightweight, and therefore, it is not difficult to carry it up and down the stairs. For convenient use and carrying it should size like an iron
For comfortable cleaning, you should have a vacuum with a sufficiently long power cord, especially if the power outlet is not near the stairs.
But on the other hand, there are wireless portable models with lithium-ion batteries. With them you will not be constantly entangled in the wires, and such hoovers work without recharging for 15 minutes, which is quite enough to clean the entire staircase.
Even the vacuum should have a powerful suction, especially if the stairs are covered with a carpet.
Such a vacuum cleaner should have a rotating brush, the design of which will work well on the stair edges. This brush proved to be very effective when cleaning pet hair on carpeted stairs. If it is possible, turn off the rotation function of the brush to clean stairs with a hard surface, so as not to scratch and damage them.
Vacuums for stairs should have a flexible hose and a slotted nozzle for cleaning corners and hard-to-reach places.
If possible, look for a vacuum with exchangeable tools and a stick. (best stick vacuum 2018 see here)
And therefore, some vertical models can turn into a small compact and portable vacuum cleaners. So you get two for the price of one! This has its advantages and, perhaps, you will like this hoover for cleaning almost the whole house.
Such a vacuum should have a good air filtration system, and if you have asthma or an allergy, then the model should have a HEPA class filter.
It’s good if it is a vacuum without a bag because it is easy to clean and you will not need to spend additional funds on bags.
Below we offer detailed information about the five best vacuum cleaner for stairs for your reference. If you are wondering where to buy these products, be sure to visit the Amazon website.
Best Vacuum For Stairs 2018
|Model||Shark Rocket TruePet Ultra-Light HV322||Shark Rocket Corded Hand Vac – HV292 Model||Eureka EasyClean 71B||BLACK + DECKER BDH2020FLFH MAX||BISSELL Pet Hair Eraser 33A1|
|Cordless /Cord Length||32 foot||32 foot||20 feet|
|Filter||2, both washable||2, both washable||Washable||washable||HEPA filtration|
|Weight (pounds)||less than 8 pounds||3.7 pounds||4.8 pounds||approx. 4 pounds||4 pounds|
|Attachments||12” crevice tool,dusting brush,TruePet Motorized brush,upholstery tool||12” crevice tool,Extended reach flexible hose,dusting brush,Mini motorized brush||2-in-1 nozzle /brush tool,Long crevice tool,Pet hair tool,Stick vac floor head|
|Power||500 watts||400 watts||5.5 amps||25 air watts||N/A|
|Warranty||5 years||5 years||1 year||2 years||1 year limited|
If you like the vacuum of the Dyson DC series, this is a completed wired version only produced by another company – Shark.
Shark Rocket TruePet Ultra-Light HV322 is a very compact and lightweight 2in1 model. It’s cleaning tube is quickly retracted and can be converted from a vertical to a powerful manual vacuum.
Thanks to a whole heap of accessories, it is perfect for complete cleaning of small houses and apartments or as an additional for large cleaning areas
- Lightweight – weighs just under 8 pounds
- Strong suction and the ability to deeply clean the carpet
- Special tool for cleaning pet hair
- Has bright LED lights
- Universal – able to clean from floor to ceiling
- Long power cord 32 feet
- Has swivel steering
- Removable dust cup
- Five-year warranty
- Compared to other models, the mud bowl is small
- The vacuum cleaner can not stand alone
- The power cable sometimes interferes with quick cleaning of windows
- Has a high whistling sound when turned on, which can be annoying
- No HEPA filtering
- Plastic pipe, if used carelessly, may crack
- Does not have such a turning mechanism as more expensive models
- It is inconvenient to change tools with one hand
Shark Rocket TruePet Ultra-Light HV322 is a 2-in-1 wired model. It’s great for people who are looking for a vacuum that weighs less than full-featured vertical models but has the same cleaning power.
LED lamps on the brush and the cleaner body is a good addition because it gives a better visibility when cleaning.
Shark Rocket Corded Hand Vac – HV292 is a lightweight and portable model with a rotating brush and additional accessories for cleaning your entire home.
It perfectly cleans carpets, stairs, upholstery, pet hair, as well as hard floors and even the interior of your car.
In the review of this model Shark Rocket Corded Hand Vac – HV292 Model, we will consider its features in more detail, plus pros and cons.
- Cheaper than most manual models
- Washable and easy to use filter
- Flexible hose with nozzles
- Motorized brush for deep cleaning of stairs, carpets, and removal of pet hair
- Easy and fast assembly
- Weighs 5 pounds
- Can clean in large volumes
- 15-foot power cable
- Slightly heavier than most handheld vacuums cleaners
- No power cord fixing device
- The suction power of the vacuum drops if the mud bowl is full.
- Accessories are not suitable for other models of hoover
- After each wash, the filter quality deteriorates
- Sometimes holding the vacuum by the handle, the center of gravity is at the top of it, and it’s a bit difficult to hold the vacuum in this position. However, when using it, the unit is basically at a certain angle down, with a center of gravity below the handle.
Shark Rocket HV292 is an affordable, compact, wired model without a bag, which is ideal for cleaning from dirt, dust, debris and pet hair throughout your home.
Thanks to additional accessories this vacuum perfectly cleans various types of surfaces and hard-to-reach places.
Since its price is much cheaper than most comparable handheld vacuum cleaners, the Shark Rocket HV292 is great as an additional helper for cleaning large houses and apartments.
For more reviews and recommendations, click the link Shark Rocket Wired Hand Vac (HV292) on the Amazon website (the link will open in a new window).
For every user, the staircase and upholstery furniture are the most difficult to clean places in the house. Probably because some vacuums have limited functions and can not effectively clean these areas, while others, such as DC59 or DC44, can cope with this task, but they cost more than $300, and not many people are ready to purchase them.
Therefore, in the interests of saving power and money, we suggest you look at the Eureka EasyClean 71V vacuum, which is designed specifically for cleaning these cleaning areas.
- Adjustable visor allows easy cleaning of vertical sections on stairs, upholstery, and car seats
- Powerful absorption
- Versatility – flexible hose and slotted tool
- The filter can be washed
- No bag
- 20 feet of power cord, and it is wound around the device
- Effectively removes pet hair, but you can turn off the brush for cleaning hard floors
- The trash compartment can quickly fill, and it is difficult to clean
- Poor cleaning of hard-to-reach places
- Short hose
- Not suitable for cleaning large areas
- A little noisy running
Eureka EasyClean 71B Review is great for people who are looking for an effective vacuum for cleaning stairs and upholstery for a budget price. Strong suction and motorized brush allow you to quickly and easily remove pet hair, and a flexible hose and crevice nozzle will help with cleaning hard-to-reach places.
This is a small vacuum with a special nozzle design for cleaning individual areas of the house with minimum effort.
We recommend reading some excellent customer reviews to make the final decision.
BLACK + DECKER BDH2020FLFH is a compact and lightweight wireless model. Moves around the house freely for fast and high-quality cleaning. It is powerful enough and easy to use.
This model is equipped with a 20V lithium-ion battery and an engine power of 1.5 amps. This ensures a strong air intake of 24 watts, and the vacuum cleaner works for 20 minutes. Battery charging time is about 4 hours.
You can extend the cleaning range and easily clean all hard-to-reach places, since the BDH2020FLFH is equipped with a flexible hose 4 feet long (~ 1.22 m), and in combination with an extra long stick you can clean the entire room without bending down.
- Very light weight – 3.2 feet (~ 1.45 kg)
- Have a few nozzles for cleaning dirt and dust, pet hair and large debris
- Long stick with a brush allows you to clean without bending
- Strong air absorption at 25W (only 3W less than the Dyson DC59 in normal mode)
- Hold the battery for about 4 hours
- Easy to use and great for cleaning stairs
- Two-year warranty
- The main drawback to which users point out is that the suction force decreases if you attach a long stick for cleaning the floor and therefore the vacuum does not clean the carpets
- Small volume of garbage container
- It is often necessary to rinse the filter
- Hair or other statically charged debris tend to stick to the inner walls of the container
- Very noisy
This small, but powerful vacuum has a whole arsenal of additional components for cleaning floors, stairs, furniture, pet hair, and all hard-to-reach places.
With this in mind, the BLACK + DECKER BDH2020FLFH is powerful enough to act as a basic vacuum cleaner for small houses and apartments.
To view a large number of reviews and recommendations, follow links to the site Amazon BDH2020FL and BDH2020FLFH (links open in a new window).
BISSELL Pet Hair Eraser 33A1 is the best handheld vacuum for stairs and furniture upholstery.
This vacuum has the shape of a nozzle that adapts to each contour on the cleaning surface, and thus saves energy and time while cleaning.
So, let’s look at this model more carefully.
- Light weight – 5 feet
- Flexible rubber nozzle works well for cleaning pets’ hair on upholstery and stairs
- Ergonomic handle
- Low price – slightly less than $30
- Can be used on tiles, hardwoods or any bare floor surfaces thanks to its hard nozzle (more vacuum for tile floors see here)
- Suction power
- HEPA filtering
- One year warranty
- Short power cord
- Small volume of the garbage container
- It may be difficult to clean suede fabric
- Not for cleaning stains
- Not effective in cleaning pet hair on hard surfaces
- Can not clean up large garbage
- HEPA filters need to be replaced periodically
- If you use a rubber nozzle to clean hard surfaces, the hoover can sometimes blow off dirt through the exhaust that comes out on both sides of the vacuum cleaner. To solve this problem, some users buy a hose adapter and a flexible hose to keep the exhaust blowing away from the cleaning area.
If you want to clean the staircase quickly and efficiently, as well as get rid of annoying pet hair on the upholstery of furniture and in the car, then BISSELL Pet Hair Eraser 33A1 is just what you need.
Thanks to the thoughtful design and powerful retraction of this vacuum cleaner, you can easily clean all hard-to-reach places.
This model is more suitable for cleaning small areas, and therefore can be your additional assistant to the main vacuum cleaner.
To view more reviews, and recommendations, and compare it with other Bissell vacuums, feel free to follow the link Bissell Pet Hair Eraser Hand Vacuum on the Amazon website, where already over a thousand buyers have left their reviews.
In our time, there are already many vacuum cleaners on the market, which perfectly cope with cleaning staircases at maximum suction power.
Obviously, small and light, wired or wireless portable vacuums are much easier to use on the stairs for cleaning.
Cleaning the stairs with carpeting will take more time and effort regarding effectiveness due to potential accumulation of allergens in carpets.
As you can see, the vacuum cleaner models presented above are not only designed for cleaning stairs but can also be used for cleaning upholstery, pet hair, hard-to-reach places and can even become an indispensable assistant when cleaning your car.
In short, a good vacuum for stairs should be light, with the ability to clean corners and edges, has good air filtration, and is easy to assemble. Also, it should have a rotating brush that can be turned off when needed, and a mud bowl that is easy to clean.