How To Get Rid of Bathroom Mold
Emerged mold on the seams of tiles worries every hostess. It not only spoils the appearance of the bathroom but also negatively affects the health of the whole family.
In the review, we will analyze how and what to clean the mold at the seams of the tile.
Why does mold appear?
There are several reasons why mold can appear in the bathroom:
- High humidity (more than 70%);
- Low temperature in the bathroom is less (15 degrees);
- Poor ventilation;
- Permanently closed bathroom.
All these conditions are ideal for the occurrence of mold.
To clean the seams in the bathroom, you need to stock up on the necessary tools and cleaning means. These include:
- Screwdriver (it can be replaced with another sharp device, most importantly, the width of the tool must match the size of the seam);
- Whiteness or bleach, baking soda, vinegar;
- Old toothbrush and a narrow brush with a hard pile;
- Sponge and cleaning cloths;
- A piece of sandpaper;
These are the main tools that will be needed to clean the joints from mold.
Each landlady has a moment when it is necessary to bring the house in order in the shortest possible time. In this case, cleanse the seams to help soda and vinegar. There is a need to do the following:
- In the enameled container, pour a small amount of vinegar.
- With a fine brush, apply it to all the seams on which there is mold.
- Wait for 5-10 minutes.
- Take the sponge and carefully wipe all the seams. Rinse the vinegar with warm water.
Places, where the mold was also, can be treated with baking soda. To do this, you need to do the following:
- Add baking soda to a small container.
- Take the old toothbrush. Water it in water.
- Dip it in soda and begin to clean the seams.
- Thoroughly rinse all the tiles in the bathroom and wipe dry.
With such folk remedies, you can clean not only mold, but dirt. But it is worth remembering that this method is not durable and after a while the problem will make itself felt.
Mechanical surface treatment
If the first method failed to get rid of the mold or it quickly returned, we suggest to withdraw it in a cardinal way. To do this, you need to prepare a screwdriver. With it, you need to remove the entire grout between the tiles. You need to do everything carefully, so as not to damage the tile.
It is worth immediately discussing the moment that it 's hard to remove the old grout. It can not be completely removed, but it is necessary to do this as deeply as possible if possible. After the work done, you need the following:
- Treat all seams with tiles with acid or vinegar. This will help prevent or reduce the appearance of mold.
- Wash the seams near the tile with warm water and thoroughly dry.
- Dilute a new grout and use a spatula (preferably rubber), apply a new layer.
- Dry it. Remove excess from tiles with water and a rag.
To prevent mold from returning after the joints have completely dried, we recommend treating them with a primer of antibacterial action of deep penetration.
Which means is better
If you do not carry the smell of chlorine-containing substances or vinegar, then you can use copper sulfate. To do this, prepare the working solution:
- 100 grams of vitriol;
- 10 liters of warm water.
- Mix thoroughly and begin the treatment of the tiles in the bathroom.
If you can not clean the mold with folk remedies, then you can use professional substances. When selecting them carefully read the instructions on the packaging. It must necessarily be marked that the agent destroys mold, and is not used for prevention.
All work with professional tools should be done with gloves and a respiratory mask. Spores of fungus and cleanser should not enter the body and the open areas of the body.
Fighting mold is hard. It is much easier to eliminate the reasons. After all, even if you managed to clean the seams from the first time, remember, everything can happen again. To avoid this, remember a few recommendations:
- Keep the bathroom in the correct humidity. It should be 30%.
- Get the right heated towel rail.
- Install a powerful fan in the hood.
- After using the bath, leave the door open for a while.
- If you plan a repair, then before laying the tile, be sure to treat the wall with an antifungal solution.
- Plumbing should not leak. This is worth carefully watching.
- Consistently moist pipes promote the reproduction of mold. In this case, replace them with polypropylene. They never get sweaty.
- All joints, where moisture can enter, must be treated with a sealant.
- Do not tumble dry the bathroom.
- Watch for shelves and cups for toothbrushes. They can also easily appear black mold.
As you can see, the rules are simple and easy to follow. If nevertheless noticed the appeared mold, then it is necessary to take action immediately.