How to choose a vacuum cleaner for suction power
The vacuum cleaner is one of the most important devices in everyday life, which at least once in life one has to buy for everyone.
Many homemakers dream about the stylish modern vacuum cleaner. So that it does not disappoint you when cleaning, you should focus not only on price and design but also on technical characteristics, the main one being capacity.
Do not be greedy and chasing the records: acquired “without looking” a powerful vacuum cleaner can unpleasantly surprise you when the bills for electricity come. Let is choose the best option together, which will ensure the cleanliness of the house and save electricity.
Vacuum cleaner power and cleaning efficiency
When choosing a vacuum cleaner, you need to pay attention to two power parameters: useful, with which air is sucked in, and consumed from the power grid.
For marketing purposes, the power supply is written on the vacuum cleaner body, since this parameter always looks more solid.
In fact, the vacuum cleaner can consume a large amount of electricity, and at the same time, it can take a little air. For suction power data, please refer to the attached instructions or the specification of the vacuum cleaner. You can also use the information on the websites of manufacturers, manufacturers or sellers.
For a standard cleaning of a small apartment, a vacuum cleaner with a useful power of 250-320 watts is usually enough. Allergic people, for whom cleaning is particularly important, recommend vacuum cleaners with maximum useful power. But unfortunately, in that case, your carpet will wear out very quickly.
The concept of useful capacity includes two indicators:
- Maximum net power. It is reached in the first seconds after the vacuum cleaner is turned on if the dust collector is empty.
- Average effective power. This characterizes the work of the vacuum cleaner on the continuation of all cleaning. The air suction capacity decreases as the dust bag is filled and dirty. Therefore, the average effective power is usually 30% below the maximum.
On what do the “power” characteristics of the vacuum cleaner depend on?
A modern vacuum cleaner is a composite device, and its useful power is influenced by some factors:
This is the most important detail. The efficiency of the engine is usually 25-35%. That is, at a power consumption of 1500 watts you can count on the engine power of 375-525 watts. This capacity is theoretically enough for any cleaning, but do not forget about other nuances that reduce useful power.
- Type of vacuum cleaner.
A water filter, a bag or a dust collector – depending on what the vacuum cleaners are equipped with, with the same power consumption, they can exhibit different suction power.
- Types and number of filters.
The more complex the filters and the more they are, the less suction power. A vacuum cleaner with two large-pore filters will show a better visible result than a five-puffed vacuum cleaner that exerts more resistance to air. However, he will only detain large dust.
- The quality of the vacuum cleaner assembly.
With the same engine power, a properly assembled vacuum cleaner with a careful adjustment of the parts shows a higher useful power.
How to determine the power you need?
So, we figured out what the power of the vacuum cleaner is and what it depends on. Now let is see how to use it:
- 350 W – useful power, sufficient for dry cleaning of linoleum, parquet, tile and other smooth surfaces. If you do not have carpets and you do not plan to clean upholstered furniture, an inexpensive, low-power vacuum cleaner will do.
- 400 W is a useful power that allows you to successfully clean the carpet and cope with a large amount of dust and wool if the house has animals.
- 450 W – useful power, sufficient for cleaning carpets, long-covering coatings, upholstered furniture.
The most convenient option is a vacuum cleaner with a suction power regulator. This allows cleaning any surfaces with the optimal energy consumption. The controller can be mechanical or digital. Vacuum cleaners with digital adjustment are significantly more expensive.
Fashionable vertical vacuum cleaners, which look good in the interior and operate from batteries, usually have a little suction power. For a large apartment in which a family and pets live, upright vacuum cleaners can only be recommended for daily maintenance of cleanliness.
The same thing happens with robotic vacuum cleaners. The exception is the latest development of leading manufacturers. Detergent vacuum cleaners always have a useful power of at least 400 W, because they need to suck not only air but also contaminated water.
How to choose a vacuum cleaner for suction power? Summing up
By the suction power to pick up a vacuum cleaner is quite simple: the larger the area and the more complex the cleaning, the higher the index is required. If you can afford economic opportunities, all other things being equal, you should always choose the most powerful vacuum cleaner with a regulator: it just will not let you down. Also, no manufacturer will not design an apparatus with obviously cheap assembly and accessories, if it has a powerful, high-quality engine.
Let is imagine that you have decided on the type of cleaning – dry or wet – and the useful power of the vacuum cleaner necessary for your tasks. You come to the store, there are rows of beautiful vacuum cleaners in front of you, and the only thing you see is the power consumption indicated by the case.
First of all, select models of world famous manufacturers. They are equipped with reliable engines with high efficiency and are distinguished by the build quality. If we take the engine efficiency equal to 35% and the required useful power of 450 W, it turns out that the power consumption will be 1285 W. This is electricity, which will only be needed for the work of an unloaded engine!
To determine the power consumption you need, you should multiply this figure by about 1.5 or 2, depending on how the dust filtration problems are solved, what other technologies are used in this particular model. Thus, if your requirements for cleaning the premises are high enough, you need the maximum useful power of the vacuum cleaner. Your choice is the advanced models with a power consumption of 2000 watts.
Life does not stand still, and modern consumers have the opportunity to purchase the technology of tomorrow today. The newest designs of brushes, air intakes, air ducts, filters help to ensure the best ratio of consumed and useful powers of the vacuum cleaner.
- How To Choose A Vacuum Cleaner By Its Technical Characteristics?How to choose a vacuum cleaner by its technical characteristics? A vacuum cleaner is necessary for every house, without it is difficult to imagine a high-quality cleaning. The abundance of…
- Which Stick Vacuum Cleaner Should I Choose?Which stick vacuum cleaner should I choose? Convenience and ease of use – these are the main requirements of customers when choosing a vacuum cleaner. These requests are fully consistent with…
- Why Is The Vacuum Cleaner Warmed?Why is the vacuum cleaner warmed?